Friday, October 28, 2011

Bubs from "The Wire" impersonator tries to steal copper wire from utility pole, only problem being the wires were live and he got electrocuted and died


Huffington Post Chicago - Police say a man who was fatally electrocuted Wednesday night likely died during a failed attempt to steal copper wire from a utility pole.
Lockport Township Fired Protection District personnel responded at 9:22 p.m. Wednesday to a report that a person appeared to be on fire, Battalion Chief Paul Hertzmann told Fox Chicago. An alarm that had been installed after a rash of recent copper thefts in the area notified police officers, but crews could not immediately approach the man, who fell about 20 feet to the ground and appeared to be dead on the scene, because the ground around him was "electrified," Hertzmann told Fox. ComEd workers were called to shut off the power before the victim could be approached.

The brokest I've ever been was my junior year in college. I specifically remember looking through the filthy futon in my room for quarters so I could hit up the Food Lion for some Malboro Smooths and Steel Reserve tallboys. You haven't hit rock bottom until you know that feeling. Well that's what I thought until I read this story. I thought stealing copper wire was something only Bubs did in the wire to score crack. It very well may be that this guy was doing the same thing. But I don't think I'll ever be desperate enough to rip out live utility pole wires so I can sell my shit for 15 cents a foot. Utility Pole Wiring Theft 101 states clearly on page 1 to wear gloves. Page 2 says make sure the wires aren't live before you go ripping them out of a device that powers 100 square blocks.



1 comment:

  1. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. aluminium cable.

    ReplyDelete