Monday, October 31, 2011

The lockout is stupid and I hope it keeps going



The amount of "tree falls in the forest but no one hears it does it make a sound" jokes that went through my head when trying to figure out a headline...well that was really the only one I thought of. The circumstances change from minute to minute. Yesterday a deal was 95% done and today I read an article that said the players and owners were no closer to making a deal than they were two months ago. My guess as to when the lockout ends is worth about the same as this blog.

I'll admit I'm a college basketball fan through and through. The style of the game is far and away more entertaining to watch, because I can relate to unathletic white guys makin it rain from 20 feet all day. I've tried liking the league a bunch of times and could never get into it. I guess watching dudes who are going to make more money in a year than I'll make in a lifetime dog it for 48 minutes just never tickled my fancy. But that's just me. I know there are plenty of people out there who are so NBA starved that they sleep with their LeBron jerseys under their pillows every night and weep.

The thing about the lockout is I can see this working out for the league. How sweet would a drastically shortened season be? It would be like 3-4 months of playoffs. Imagine a scenario of a 29 game season. Each teams plays each other once, so in essence a round robin, and you'd cut the playoff spots in half. Built in playoff games for ties for fourth place in each conference. Head to head record for seeding tie breakers up top. Best of five game series. A shorter season format will do wonders for getting fans into the teams' seats who claim that they hemorrhage money every season. I'd watch the shit out of that and I can guarantee you it'd be a playoff atmosphere just about every game. Worst case scenario you can find out which fan bases don't deserve a team and give em the axe to quit the owners' bitching about revenue sharing.

The players cant afford to keep missing paychecks. If anyone blinks first it will be them just because there will be more dissent from the scrubs of the league than the poorest owners. Thirty owners can stick together sitting on their mountains of money longer than the players who just bought a yacht on layaway.

If I don't get a sweet shortened format I'm not going to watch the regular season. It's boring and the players don't care so why should I? Wake me up when the playoffs start so I can clear out the two fuckin months it takes to play those.


No comments:

Post a Comment